Skin-rejuvenating cosmetic treatments have evolved from basic solutions to synergistic treatments that address a wide range of age-related factors. From fine lines and wrinkles, blotchy skin texture, poor skin tone and skin laxity, through to lack of midfacial fat volume, Cutis Clinic provides an incredible range of preventive and therapeutic texture, tone and volume treatments for every age group.
The early signs of skin ageing can be quickly and simply improved by way of muscle relaxants, chemical peels, BroadBand Light treatment and good skin care. Clients in their early 30’s and 40’s will more often than not require treatments that are regenerative, and this is where Fraxel® laser treatments come in. These can be coupled with muscle relaxants and a tiny amount of dermal filler. Clients in their 50’s and above will benefit from a mini face-lift, full resurfacing or volume replacement with dermal fillers. Dermatologists at Cutis Clinic always aim to achieve a completely natural look rather than produce drastic, overly-obvious changes.
- Dermatologists often combine different laser types such as erbium and CO2 to achieve incredible results
- Full laser resurfacing corrects skin texture and improves skin tone, tightening and softening facial lines. This technique will also significantly reduce eye bags, tighten the eyelids and soften lines without muscle relaxants
- Laser resurfacing healing times vary from 7 to 10 days, dependent on the resurfacing depth
- Volume correction is often underestimated. Replacing midfacial fat loss with dermal fillers can significantly lower your perceived age. Volume correction can also be used to treat eye bags, hollow tear troughs and marionette lines
- Muscle relaxants reduce and prevent frown and forehead lines – “if it can’t crinkle, it won’t wrinkle”
- Maintaining a simple but effective skincare program after texture, tone and volume correction is vital for long-lasting results
The definition of combination laser resurfacing is the use of multiple lasers to produce visible results. This procedure is performed to a excellent standard by all Cutis Clinic laser dermatologists. By using a combination of lasers, the treating dermatologist can achieve optimal results in a single procedure. Our combination laser resurfacing package usually begins with full erbium laser resurfacing to remove the upper layers of the skin and so lighten superficial hyperpigmentation, sun-spots, pre-cancerous skin cells and old skin. This treatment also causes existing collagen fibres to shrink which immediately improves skin texture and tone. The next step often involves fractionated CO2 laser treatment which further stimulates collagen production for longer-term skin tightening.
All of our combination erbium and CO2 laser resurfacing procedures are conducted at our on-site laser suites.
- An initial consultation is essential and always conducted prior to any laser procedure. During this consultation your full medical history and photographs are taken. This is the ideal opportunity to go over the treatment plan and ask your questions.
- After your initial consultation, your dermatologist will create your personalised laser order. This ensures that specific areas discussed during your consultation are mapped prior to your laser treatment appointment.
- You are now able to make your laser procedure booking with our administration team.
- On the day of treatment, you will be taken to our pre-laser area where a topical anaesthetic is applied to your skin and, when requested, medication administered.
- The topical anaesthetic requires 60 minutes to work effectively
- You will then taken into the laser operating suite where your treating dermatologist will conduct the procedure according to your laser order.
- It is also advised that you arrange transportation home with a friend or relative.
Your required downtime depends on several factors:
- Laser resurfacing depth. The deeper the treatment, the greater the downtime – but the better the results
- Laser resurfacing location. The face and eyelids will heal within a week; neck treatments may need up to 2 weeks
- Your current health status. The fitter you are, the quicker you heal. As a rule, smokers require an extra week to heal
- Age is not a factor. Many of our 70 plussers heal just as well (sometimes even better) than our 30 year old clients
Basically, you should choose surgical management of skin laxity over laser resurfacing when there’s a lot of it. Our specialist dermatologists will be able to help you make an informed decision. In most cases, surgery is conducted first to remove excess skin, tighten the jowl (mini face-lift) and remove excess eyelid skin (blepharoplasty). Laser resurfacing treatments commence 1-3 months after surgery to address skin texture and further tighten the skin by remodeling collagen. This latter phase is not possible by surgery alone.By performing laser resurfacing after a surgical procedure you also speed up and improve the healing of surgical scars.
Downtime following a blepharoplasty or mini facelift is, on average, 5 – 7 days. Following either surgery there may be residual bruising that can last for up to 10 days. Scars are generally hidden. Blepharoplasty suture lines are disguised in the creases of the upper eye lid and along the hair line. The mini facelift suture line is well hidden in your scalp and behind the ears. Post-surgical pain is minimal and well controlled with over-the-counter pain relief.
Dermal fillers are an essential part of skin rejuvenation. As we age our skin loses volume, collagen and fat. This age-related volume loss begins in the mid to late 30s and the process accelerates from then on.
- 20-30 year olds usually have a tiny amount of fat loss in the mid cheek that can be corrected with 0.3- 0.5 ml of dermal filler on each side
- 40 year olds benefit from more dermal filler in this region and also to plump up the tear-trough region
- 50 plussers usually require at least 2-3 ml of dermal filler
If the overall texture of the skin is good and has an even colour and very little wrinkling, dermal volume replacement offers the greatest improvements. If you are young, only the tiniest amount is needed. Cutis Clinic believes in a natural look that makes you look great for your age.
More on dermal fillers
Please contact us for pricing information.
Costs depend on the complexity of the procedure. For an accurate quote, please schedule a consultation with one of our dermatologists.
Full Laser Resurfacing and VBeam
Prices vary, but will fall within a predictable range. The price will depend on the complexity of the resurfaced areas such as the eyelids and upper lips as well as the degree of flushing.
This product should last between 18-24 months. Some clients benefit from a combination or layering of fillers. Budget for at least 2 ml if you are under 45 years of age and 3-4 ml if you are in the 45-65 age group.
Our specialists and dermatologists such as the renowned Dr. Davin Lim perform this treatment differently to other clinics. We use less and implement a scatter technique to provide a much more natural look.
In many mini facelift procedures we are also asked to include blepharoplasty surgery. This requires additional time and increases the cost of a mini facelift.
Cutis Clinic aims to give its clients a fresh, youthful and natural look in accordance with his or her age. This usually involves subtle changes. Think hard about how much younger you want to look and what results you expect.
- Late 30’s- 40’s: your specialist may advise light laser resurfacing, a small amount of filler and perhaps ‘scattered’ muscle relaxants
- In your 50’s: your specialist may recommend laser resurfacing, around 2 ml of filler and muscle relaxants
- In your 60’s: don’t be surprised if your specialist recommends ‘the lot’. This includes mini facelift with blepharoplasty, laser resurfacing, dermal filler, and muscle relaxants as maintenance. Dr Davin Lim states: “This form of total rejuvenation is best for this age and the most natural, as I address skin laxity first surgically and then with laser. This also improves skin texture. I then concentrate on volume replacement. This can be the most dramatic change; results transform but remain natural.”
At Cutis Clinic, we take advantage of advanced technology to provide safe and outstanding results; however, it is our leading laser and cosmetic dermatology specialist who really pushes our team to provide our plethora of professional cosmetic procedures in Brisbane.
Dr Davin Lim is a highly experienced dermatologist with further specialisations in cosmetic and laser dermatology. He is also a member of the Australian Society of Cosmetic Dermatology.
Dr Davin Lim trains emerging and long-standing cosmetic surgeons, dermatologists and nurses in CO2 laser, radiofrequency laser, skin needling and laser resurfacing techniques all over the world. A member of the American Academy of Aesthetic Medicine, and having undertaken advanced aesthetic surgical training in the United States, Dr Lim is a recognised national and international speaker specialising in cosmetic and facial rejuvenation, as well as a senior advisor on numerous laser and cosmetic boards.
Dr. Davin Lim and our registered nurses are consistently asked “what is the best procedure to address the ageing process?” This depends on many factors that include age, current skin condition, expectations and available downtime. When turning back the dermal clock we need to look at three factors – skin texture, skin tone and skin volume.
How even is your skin colour and texture? Do you suffer from sun damage, freckles, and seborrhoeic warts? If so, laser treatment is the way forward. Mild alternations in skin texture can be treated with the Fraxel laser and moderate to severe sun damage with combination therapy consisting of erbium and CO2 lasers. The more uneven the texture, the stronger the laser and the longer the downtime.
Does your skin hang? Do you have bags or wrinkles under your eyes? Do your jowls droop? Are your upper eyelids saggy? These are all examples of poor skin tone. Depending on the nature of your reduction in skin tone, surgical or laser procedures are used. In most cases, surgery followed by laser provides the best results as this addresses both tone and texture.
This is often the most important factor in restoring a more youthful look but is often the most overlooked. Laser resurfacing can restore skin tone and stimulate collagen to but cannot replace volume or fat loss. Only a dermal filler can achieve this. A small amount of dermal filler injected into the correct location can make a dramatic but very natural improvement.
For optimal skin rejuvenation you must address all 3 factors: texture, tone and volume. Rejuvenation should achieve a result proportionate to your age.