Radiofrequency microneedling is a procedure that remodel dermal collagen. Our specialist team at Cutis has experience with many devices & will guide you as to what is best for your skin concerns. As RF microneedling spares the upper layers of skin, downtime is minimal.
- Radiofrequency microneedling works by stimulating collagen production
- This device provides controlled heating to exact depths in the dermis
- The insulation of Genius RF spares the upper layers of skin
- Insulation means safer, more effective treatments
- RF microneedling can be used to treat scars, skin laxity, enlarged pores
Genius & Infini Radiofrequency Microneedling at a glance
Our results speak for themselves
RFM or radiofrequency microneedling combines the benefit of computer controlled microneedling with insulated precise heating.
Heat can be delivered into the deeper layers of skin, with absolute precision. This remodels collagen, in turn improving scars, laxity, enlarged pores & improves skin tone.
Lots. Microneedling is the bottom entry level scar revision method that uses cold needles. It can be effective in treating some forms of acne scars. Home microneedling kits start around 4-5 USD.
RF microneedling uses computer-controlled heating of the deeper dermis. Heat is delivered via insulated needles (Genius, Infini, Morpheus 8). Temperatures above 67 degrees will denature collagen & provide more neocollagenesis than microneedling. This means far better result.
Lasers are better when it comes to treating surface changes such as skin quality issues, pigmentation & superficial scars (boxcar, pitted, low volume atrophic).
RF microneedling is best for deeper pathology- namely low to medium volume atophic rolling scars. We often combine both laser & Genius RF if we need to tackle deep scarring in darker skin types, as the latter spares collateral damage to the skin’s surface.
At Cutis we employ RF microneedling as a general treatment for mixed scars, including rolling scars, box car, icepicks, & saucer/polymorphic scars.
Though not as specific as scar directed treatments, Infini / Genius is useful as a cost-effective way of treating most scar types. It has less downtime compared to lasers.
Genius is the updated version of Infini. Genius RF has moved the game on with-
- A much stronger solenoid motor; better & more consistent depth of penetration.
- Better insulation of needles
- More power (best in the class)
- Impedance or resistance control
Our dermatologist ran the Infini for 5 years before swapping to Genius in 2019. We used Intensif in 2015-2016, Secret RF in 2015 & Morpheus 8 in 2020. We also used Venus Viva in 2020. We also have eMatrix nanofractional RF, & the Profound RF as well.
Genius & Morpheus 8 are insulated devices, Secret is not (neither is Intensif), whilst Venus Viva is nanofractional (superficial) RF.
Our dermatologists have experience in all these systems (& more). Morpheus 8 has an advantage over Genius when it comes to depth of penetration, however this is irrelevant on the face. Genius has the advantage over Morpheus 8 when it comes to power, however in the context of maximal settings for scars, this too is irrelevant.
Nanofractional technology with devices such as Venus Viva & eMatrix are great for early, mild, shallow acne scars, but do not have the energy to go deeper.
Laser Genesis is a zero downtime laser rejuvenation procedure that can be effective for skin rejuvenation. It works by providing constant & prolonged dermal heating, in turn stimulating dermal collagen.
Here’s the skinny. For big name brands like Morpheus 8, Infini, & Genius, the fundamental working parameters can be modified according to the shortcomings of each device.
Good devices make a difference, however experienced dermatologists can work around shortfalls of each device, within reason. Here are some examples-
- Underpowered devices such as Intensif, require off label shot count > 2-3 times recommended.
- Weaker motor of Infini compared to Genius; press harder down & check tissue depth.
- Non-insulated Secret RF, off label shot count increased 3-5 times recommended.
- Shorter needle of Genius RF at 3.5, subcise deeper.
Because Cutis Dermatology works with all major manufacturers, we understand the technology of devices & will provide patients with the best possible treatments.
Our unique way of scar revision is bespoke as we tailor different treatments according to your scar pattern. Here are the most common combinations we use with Infini / Genius / Morpheus 8.
- RF microneedling + TCA Paint/Cross for ice pick scars.
- RF microneedling + CO2 lasers for deep rolling scars & superficial box car scars.
- RF microneedling + subcision for deeper rolling & atrophic scars.
1-5 days depending on settings & ancillary procedures. Contrary to logic, deeper treatments have less downtime compared to superficial ones. This is because insulation of Genus protects the overlying skin.
Side effects must be separated from expected outcomes & recovery. With powerful devices, grids are often visible for 1-4 weeks post treatment. This is expected, especially with higher settings. Unexpected results include-
- Prolonged grids/pigmentation
- Fat atrophy (due to multiple passes)
- Nerve damage (deeper RFM)
- Flare up of acne
Acne scar treatment is an investment of time, effort, and money for patients. Here are some helpful points that may help you along your journey.
- Type of scaring: Revision should be based upon scar type. There is no ‘one treatment treats all’.
- Activity of acne: If you have inflammation, your results will be suboptimal. Control activity.
- Sun protection is paramount. SPF 50+ twice a day regardless of exposure. If a 50 ml bottle lasts longer than 3 weeks, you are not using enough sunscreen.
Depth of scars: super deep scars require subcision.
Book a FREE consultation with our practice nurses, they will guide you through the scar revision process.
For more complex cases, our dermatologists can provide input. Fees apply
*Redeemable with treatment.