Picotoning uses the very latest Pico lasers, the Picoway & Picosure Pro. This advanced no downtime skin rejuvenation treatment was first coined by dermatologists in 2015. These lasers provide stimulation of collagen & a reduction of pigmentation with zero downtime & no discomfort.
- Pico toning is a program of skin rejuvenation & maintenance
- It addresses fine lines, wrinkles, pigmentation & enlarged pores
- Pico targets pigmentation, hence darker skin types are best suited
- Pico lasers can help reverse the aging process
- Laser are also a very effective & efficient way of maintaining results & skin health
- There is no downtime associated with pico laser treatments
Pico Toning; skin rejuvenation at a glance
Our results speak for themselves
Pico lasers are an excellent treatment for removing skin pigmentation, & simultaneously improving the quality of the skin. Pico uses ultra-short pulses of laser light to deliver tightly focused laser energy to the upper & lower layers of the skin.
- Pico lasers can markedly improve-
- Age spots including liver spots & sun induced pigmentation.
- Fine lines, fine wrinkles
- Enlarged pores
- Pigment post acne, surgery & trauma
Pico lasers are best for darker skin types (Asian, Middle Eastern, Islanders) as these races have more pigment, & hence provide a target rich environment for the laser.
Pico can still be used in fair skin types, but they are less efficient. Fractional lasers work better if you have fairer skin
Treatments are super-fast. Your treatment is over within 7 to 10 minutes.
No. We use the latest technology of pico, namely the Picoway. This laser is more comfortable than Picosure Pro, however if you have more wrinkles, pigmentation & enlarged pores, we use the Picosure Pro laser.
Post treatment you may be red for a few hours, but this will settle down overnight.
The Cosmelan Peel is one of the fastest methods to clear up superficial melasma, but comes with a one week downtime.
2-4 sessions are ideally required to reverse decades of sun damage & pigmentation. Thereafter maintenance sessions are conducted 2-4 times a year. With continued treatment, your skin’s age will reverse.
Your skin may be red for a few hours. Stinging is mild (if any at all). With higher settings you may feel tiny bumps (like mild acne). This is due to laser induced cavitation (air pockets) in the upper layers of your skin. Technically these are called LIOBs or laser induced optical breakdown.
LIOB bumps settle in a few days. They are more common in darker skin types & are entirely normal.
If you have lighter coloured skin (with less pigmentation), pico lasers are less effective as they target pigmentation, namely melanin. Other treatments that may be more effective include-
- Fractional thulium lasers (Fraxel 1927)
- Diode 1927
- CO2 fractional lasers
- Jessner peel
- TCA, AHA peels
Be guided by your dermatologist or treating nurse. For maintaining your results, we advise-
- Sunscreen twice a day.
- A basic cleanser & moisturizer.
- Skin care actives including retinol, niacinamide & ascorbic acid. This is termed the ABCs of skin care.
- AHAs can be used intermittently to improve skin clarity & exfoliate dead skin cells. They also potentiate the ABCs as above.
- Antioxidants protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
Book an appointment with our nurses. They provide a FREE consultation. If you have more complex issues, book an appointment with our dermatologists.
Laser treatments are an investment of time, effort and money for patients. Here are some helpful points that may help you along your journey.
- Diagnosis: There are many types of pigmentation, including genetic, melasma, freckles, birthmarks, post inflammatory, sun induced etc… If the diagnosis is uncertain, lasers should not be used. It’s like shooting in the dark. Don’t do it.
- Skin type / ethnicity: Pico lasers work most efficiently with pigment as a target. If you have fair skin, other options may be a better option. This includes peels & fractional lasers.
- Laser devices matter: There are many pico lasers on the market, some are underwhelmingly underpowered. Stick to good, trusted brands including Picoway & Picosure Pro.
Settings are the key. As with any device, settings matter.