Cosmelan peel is a 2-step pigmentation treatment aimed at treating superficial melasma & sun induced pigmentation. The first step is a clinical strength peel followed by daily use of home products. Pigment selection is critical for good results.
- Cosmelan is best employed for superficial forms of pigmentation
- Clinical indications include melasma, freckles & age spots
- Results can be seen in the first week
- Maximal results are seen in 6-10 weeks post peel
- To see if this peel is right for you, book a FREE consultation with our nurses
Cosmelan Peel at a glance
Our results speak for themselves
Cosmelan Depigmentation Peel is designed to reduce pigmentation & to improve skin texture & luminosity.
The Cosmelan treatment consists of a two phased approach that is compatible with all skin types / skin colours.
Peeling reduces the skin’s natural production of melanin, improving skin quality & evens out hyperpigmented areas & dark spots. The treatment can be used not only on facial areas but also on the chest & decolletage.
Cosmelan peel can treat skin pigmentation. This includes melasma/chloasma, post acne marks & sun induced pigment. This peel can be used on the face, chest & decolletage.
Clinically, Cosmelan & the more powerful Dermamelan peel can improve skin texture & provide effective skin lightening & brightening for all skin types.
Part one, entails the application of the mask at Cutis Dermatology.
- Your nurse will clean & prep your skin
- The Cosmelan mask is applied
- The Mask may lightly sting upon application, but only for a brief time
- Depending on your skin colour, the mask must stay on between 6 to 11 hours
- You will be instructed on when and how to remove the mask at home.
- An after-care kit will be provided to you, and you will be informed on how to use your at home products.
Contraindications to Cosmelan include active rosacea, inflamed skin, pregnancy & lactation.
This is done, as the name suggests, in the comfort of your own home.
- After the specified time, the Cosmelan mask is removed with a gentle, neutral cleanser.
- Immediately, the Mesoestetic Hydra-Vital Factor K is applied to soothe the skin & reduce water loss.
- Delayed peeling generally begins 48 to 72 hours post mask application.
- Cosmelan II cream should be applied two to three times a day for two weeks.
- After 2 weeks, Cosmelan II can be applied once daily.
Patient selection is critical for best results. Book a FREE consultation with our nurses. They can guide you accordingly.
*Consult fee redeemable upon procedure bookings.
**More complex cases are seen by our dermatologists. Consult fee applies.
Very. Patients must adhere to the home aftercare program for optimal results. This gives the greatest longevity from the peel.
The skin will be sensitive in the first six weeks post treatment. Strict & absolute sun protection is required with SPF 50+ sunscreen to protect your skin when outdoors.
Cosmelan & Dermamelan peels can give super fast results, however they should be combined with a long term treatment program to reduce melasma rebound. Only superficial forms of pigment respond to these novel peels.
Results can be seen at around one week, with maximal effects 6-8 weeks after the peel. To amplify results, we may suggest adjunctive treatments to further reduce pigmentation & melanin output. They include-
- Plasminogen modifiers that reduce pigment transfer to skin cells
- Dermal toning lasers that further reduce melanin production
No. Cosmelan, Dermamelan, Melapeel do not cure melasma, it merely reduces pigmentation for a clearer complexion. Your remission time varies from 4 months to 2 years, depending on genetics, hormonal influx & most importantly UV and infrared exposure.
At Cutis, we transition patients from Cosmelan to low power dermal toning procedures at month 4 to 6. This prolongs the effects of the peel.
Lasers are a great way of effectively treating all forms of pigmentation. At Cutis we employ over 35 lasers, including over a dozen pigment lasers. As a guide-
- Pico lasers; great for post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, sun induced pigmentation, mixed pigment in ethnic skin. We run both the Picosure Pro & the Picoway.
- Nano lasers including the Spectra & Pastelle lasers; great for melasma & superficial pigmentation in lighter skin types.
- BBL Hero for freckles & skin rejuvenation.
- Fraxel, LaseMD, Frax Pro, C+B, for mixed sun damage & pigmentation.
- Fractional CO2 + erbium lasers for deeper pigmentation with more extensive sun damage.
Yes, all skin colours can be safely treated with Cosmelan peels.
Not a good idea. If you have conditions like rosacea, eczema, & skin inflammation, lasers are much safer.
Unlike deeper peels, side effects are rare following Cosmelan, however you should be aware of them, including-
- Rebound pigmentation
- Prolonged peeling
- Skin irritation & allergic reactions
Note, Cosmelan, Dermamelan, Melapeel does not cure melasma, it merely reduces pigmentation for a clearer complexion. Remission rates vary from 4 months to 2 years.
Treating pigmentation is an investment of time, effort, and money for patients. Here are some helpful points that may help you along your journey.
- Diagnosis: The most important aspect of pigment treatment is understanding the cause of pigment. This entails an accurate clincal diagnosis.
- Depth of pigment: is your provider sure of the depth of pigmentation? This is especially important to gauge success.
- Consider your options: lasers, used correctly, are inherently safer, better & cost less than chemical peels, including Cosmelan.