Fat dissolving injections can effectively remove under chin fat. It takes up to 9 months to see the best results, & multiple (up to 5+) sessions over this time. Cutis offers many treatments for double chins, including energy-based liposuction, HIFU, RF, Coolsculpting & fat melting injections. Read more to understand the pros & cons.
- Excess under chin fat or double chins are due to excess fat & skin laxity
- Treatments are aimed at reducing pre-platysma fat, & contracting the overlying skin
- Injections take 10 minutes to perform, but over one week to recover
- The more fat you have the greater the number of treatments
- Best results take 5 sessions or more
- Minimal downtime liposuction with skin tightening is far more effective & costs half as much as injections in the long run
- Liposuction has a fraction of the healing time as compared to injections
Fat dissolving injections at a glance
Our results speak for themselves
Injections are a synthetic form of deoxycholic acid, identical to your body’s fat dissolving natural bile acid. This injection is made by the same company that manufactures dermal fillers & muscle relaxing injections.
Injections have a good efficacy, but it requires up to 5 or more injections over a span of 6-8 months. This is providing the pre-platysma fat is treated.
Injections do give some skin tightening (due to collateral inflammation), however the results are not as predictable as energy-based liposuction.
If you have a lot of fat under your chin, you will require a lot of injections. This is more expensive than liposuction, and results would take longer. Liposuction & skin tightening is a better option for most.
Candidate selection is critical for good results. Ideally-
- Submental fat that is pre platysma (superficial, pinchable)
- Average BMI, with a stable weight
- Downtime of 5-7 days per treatment (multiply by 5-6)
- Surgery phobic
2-5+, depending on your chin’s profile, & your goals & expectations.
Hint: under chin liposuction is more predictable, gives you better results, with less overall costs & one third the downtime of Kybella / Belkyra.
At Cutis we have 5 ways to effectively remove under chin fat, namely injections, liposuction, Coolsculpting, RF treatments & HIFU. Summarised below.
|Belkyra Injections||Liposuction||Coolsculpting||RF microneedling||HIFU|
7-day recovery each.
|1 session, 3-day recovery||
3-5 days to recover
|2-3 session, 2-3 days to recover|
|Somewhat predictable after 5 sessions.||Very predictable||Moderately predictable results.||Not predictable.||Not predictable.|
|Minimal collateral||Moderate swelling||Collateral damage||Moderate collateral damage|
The area is marked with a temporary tattoo. This guides us where to put Belkyra & how much to use. Local anaesthetic is then used to numb up the area. We ice the treatment zone for 60-90 seconds, then inject 25-35 points.
The whole procedure takes 10 minutes to perform, but one week to recover. Expect swelling the next day.
Though we have been performing fat dissolving injections for over a decade, we believe that newer methods of fat removal give far better results & much less downtime.
Immediately after your double chin will swell up. The swelling is a sign that your fat cells are undergoing destruction. In most cases there is bruising.
Swelling peaks at 72 hours & starts subsiding at 1-2 weeks. The under chin may feel hard for a few weeks after the procedure. This treatment is repeated 6-8 weeks later for up to five sessions (still not keen on neck liposuction? Read more).
Maximal results are seen at 9 months. Most will require two to five treatments spaced 8-10 weeks apart. Each treatment removes some fat, the amount is highly variable. The swelling after each treatment temporarily increases your double chin- the bullfrog effect. This takes a week or longer to settle.
*In comparison, under chin liposuction results are seen instantly & continue to improve over 3-5 months.
Liposuction. Hear us out. Our group offers ALL treatments, from injections to HIFU & liposuction, so we are unbiased in our options. We prefer liposuction because-
- The results from liposuction are highly predictable. Fat is physically removed; skin is then tightened.
- Downtime is minimal, compression dressing for 48 hours only.
- Costs are minimal (half the price of injections).
- Pain is minimal (as compared to injections).
Yes. Any fat destruction treatment (including Kybella, liposuction & Coolsculpting) results in permanent removal of fat cells. In this context, providing you keep a steady BMI, you will not gain any more fat in the treated area.
The caveat is that if you gain a lot more weight, the remaining fat cells can increase in size (but not number). Hence it is super important to maintain a steady weight with ANY fat reducing treatment.
Under chin fat removal is an investment of time, effort, & money. Here are some helpful pointers that may help you along your journey.
- Number of sessions: up to 5+ sessions over 6-9 months.
- Downtime: over a week with each treatment, 4-6 weeks off in total.
- Predictability of results: unlike neck liposuction, results are not predictable.
- Time frame: 6-9 months for the best results.
We firmly believe that liposuction offers greater advantages to patients, unless one has contraindications to surgery, or would like a non-surgical option.